History of Guthrie
At noon on April 22, 1889, cannons resounded and tens of thousands of settlers thundered over the plains in wagons, on horses, and on foot, with one goal: to own land. Over 10,000 claims were staked in a fertile area with gentile terrain next to Cottonwood Creek in central Oklahoma. Within hours, wooden structures replaced tents and within months a modern brick and stone city emerged: Guthrie, born of ingenuity.
Today, public and private initiatives are ensuring preservation of Guthrie’s rich architectural legacy. A portion of the downtown Capitol Townsite Historic District, is designated as a National Historic landmark (NHL), signifying the national importance of the downtown architecture. The listing in the National Register of Historic Places
extends benefits and protection to 1,400 acres of the City. The local historic preservation ordinance authorizes the City to control zoning and changes to buildings within the district.
Design Standards & Sign Guidelines
The Guthrie Historic Design Guidelines provide an illustrated guide to assist with decisions regarding changes in design, material, or external appearance to historic resources within the Guthrie Capitol Townsite Historic District (CTHD).
View Historic Design Standards
and Sign Guidelines
in the Historic District.
The Sign Guidelines in the Historic District apply to the entire Guthrie Capitol Townsite Historic District. This tool serves as a guide for planning sign changes that affect a historic resource within the CTHD and aids the Guthrie Historic Preservation Commission in determining approval of Certificate of Appropriateness applications.